Are you ready to refinish those kitchen cabinets but not sure how to get started? Your cabinets are a major part of your kitchen. It's where all of your dishes, pots and pans and food supplies are stored. They need to be functional but that doesn't mean they can't be decorative as well. However, you don't need to spend lots of money on new cabinets, you can always refinish the ones you have and give your kitchen a whole new look. Here, you'll find a few tips to make this task a little easier.
Tips for refinishing your kitchen cabinets:
- Use a screwdriver and take off all the hardware and remove the doors.
- Sand down all exterior parts of the cabinets and doors until everywhere is smooth to the touch. For the best results, do the inside as well.
- Wipe down all areas to remove the dust and double check to make sure everything is smooth. Allow to dry.
- Choose the type of stain you want to use and apply it with a clear dry cloth.
- Allow all surfaces to dry thoroughly then check for missed spots. If you see any, go back over these areas until everything is completely covered. Give the touch ups time to dry before proceeding to the next step.
- Use a clear coat over the stain to give the cabinets that extra shine and to help protect them.
- Once the clear coat is completely dry, it's time to replace the hardware.
- You can use the same hardware that came off the cabinets or you can purchase new decorative designs that will give your cabinets that extra touch which completes the overall décor.
When sanding, staining or putting on the clear coat, always go with the grain of the wood for the best results.
These kitchen cabinets refinishing tips will help you change the appearance of your kitchen without spending a small fortune. You're sure to be pleased with the results and you have the pleasure of admiring your own handy work.